“The Society for Door Step Schools” commonly known as Door Step School or DSS, was established in Mumbai, India in 1988 and later expanded in Pune in 1993 with the aim of providing literacy to the marginalised sections of society. The organisation built its program to address three major problems:
Door Step School provides education and support to the often-forgotten children of pavement dwellers, slum dwellers, construction site families and many other underprivileged families. Many of these children are not enrolled in school and have limited access to books and a place to study. Many children also drop out of school to work or care for younger children. With neither support nor resources at home, some children also suffer from very low learning levels.
Even though,the Right to Education Act (RTE) mandates free and compulsory education to all children in the age group of 6-14 years, there are still a large number of children who do not go to school.
Door Step School helps these children get enrolled in government schools in an effort to mainstream them into formal education system. Once the children are in school, Door Step School offers them various support services to enable them in their studies and help reduce the dropouts.
To be an instrumental force that brings development to children.
All children deserve an education. An alarming number of India’s urban poor still remain without an opportunity to receive formal education. Our mission at Door Step School is to bridge this divide using innovative programs that will bring education to these children and help them make the transition to literacy and a brighter future.
Primary education for all children up to 14 years of age.
- To provide facilities for improving literacy skills of children between age group of 3 to 14 years (school going and non school going) in the areas considered under the project.
- To address the problems faced by our public school system viz., non-enrollment, wastage, stagnation and low quality of learning for the children enrolled.
- To provide all these services at flexible timings and at suitable locations- be it in slums/pavements/streets.
- To work towards overall development of children.
- Respect for the community and children
- Focus on development
- Maintain high quality standards
- Participation of all stakeholders in the development process
- Empathy towards those less privileged
- Integrity and Openness in all activities undertaken
Door Step School is a registered nonprofit organization in India under:
- Societies Act, Registration No. 172-1989 GBBSD
- Public Trust Act, Registration No. F 13279 (Bom)
- Section 80(G) of the Income Tax Exemption Act, Certificate No. DIT(E)/MC/80G/3145
- Foreign Contribution Regulation Act(FCRA), Registration no. 083780514